04 November 2009

Reminince of Jacobites

A little while ago, I was mentally listing off favorite books I had read as a kid. Most of them were classics, like A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, and anything else by Charles Dickens. I also loved Moby Dick, A Wrinkle in Time, and all the Wonderland books.
My favorite of these was probably A Tale of Two Cities, in which the character Sidney Carton fascinated me. I was around 10 or 11 and thought he was the best tragic hero in the history of history.He was not my very favorite literary character, though, oh no. This honor belongs to a character that enthralled me, frightened me a little, wooed, and braved his way into my heart.
His name is Alan Breck, and he is Robert Louis Stevenson's hero in his novel Kidnapped.
The funny thing is, it has been so long since I've read the book that I can't really remember specific details about the plot or even why exactly Alan was on the run from the law.
I need to read the novel again, and see if I fall in love with Mr. Breck all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive