28 June 2010

Mission Internship-Summer-2011

I am currently on the lookout for internship opportunities for summer 2011. I will be in South Africa all spring, so I am trying to get as much settled, as far as a summer internship goes, as I can before January. I posted this on the Friends of Tom forum this morning and copied it down below:

Hey guyzes,

I am going into my third year of college and am looking for internship opportunities for next summer. I know it's basically a whole year away, but I want to go ahead and get as much figured out as I can before January, which is when I will be (God willing) studying abroad in Cape Town.

I am a double major in English and Fine Art. I am looking for an internship that fits either one of my majors in some way, I'm not picky. What I am looking for in an internship is the chance to live away from home, to learn from someone/people already somewhat established in the art or writing world, and just to gain more life experience while learning what I may want to do in the future. Ideally, I would love to be able to hang out and help out with one person or a small network of creative people who genuinely care about what they do.

I am an average college student in that I am unsure of what I want to do as a career, but I am not too stressed about that- I feel like I am the type of person who has to exuberantly embrace learning many things before I am able to find something that truly clicks with me. I am excited about the pains and joys of life, in general.

Originally, I was looking exclusively at interning/living/working in NYC, but now I think it would be beneficial to be open-minded. Wherever I end up interning, I figure I will find a job to support myself for the summer, find a room to rent or a generous person to let me crash for two-ish months, and use my free hours to do whatever I can do as an intern.

Typing this all out makes me think I'm shooting for the stars, but I think it's completely possible, and I am super determined to do this.

Here is why I am posting this:

Firstly, if anyone has any advice for me whatsoever, as far as anything I've written above, please vocalize.

Secondly, if anyone has any connections or ideas about where I could intern or live or work, I would be so appreciative. I mostly trust all of you guys and your ideas.

Thirdly, I am trying to get together two resumes/portfolios, one for my English work and one for my art work. If anyone has one they could send my way so I can get an idea on how to set mine up, that would be incredibly awesome. And if you have advice on what to include, doubly appreciative. DM me for my email or such.

I have been thinking about this a ton, and the FOTs are the first people that popped in my mind when I knew I needed some advice on getting started. You guys are awesome, and I would love and appreciate your thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any ideas!
Thanks!

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive