09 April 2011

Moms that Truly Care, Color their Daughter's Hair



I just wanted to let you all know, since I am aware that every last one of you has been sitting wide-eyed and fueled by Red Bull on the edge of your seat since yesterday's blogpost about my declaration to color my hair, that it was a success. My hair is red. Not green, not purple, not burgundy, not streaky brown and red, but red all over. No roots showing, no chunks of the faded strawberry color I previously sported, just plain red, exactly as it's supposed to be. Needless to say, I am rather proud of myself. I will admit though, that the process just wasn't the same without my mom. when I go back, I will continue to relinquish myself to her hurtful hair-coloring hands as she pounds the dye into my weak strands. Why? Because it's a bonding experience, something not to be missed, an act I only take upon my lonesome self here in Africa simply because she cannot fly to here to join me. Thank you, Mom, for all that you do.
I will also say that the coloring was a nice pick-me-up. I have been feeling all this past week the heart-heaviness of being an American who misses her family. I owe it to the fact that I have been supremely overwhelmed with homework and a bad cold, which culminates into a tired state of grumpiness that even I found hard to combat. I bought Frosted Flakes (the only sugary cereal Pick 'n Pay had that really mirrored my American sugar-sensibilities) and ate half the box for dinner, and the rest for breakfast the next morning. Looking in the mirror every morning found me gingerly fingering my hair, uselessly attempting some sort of style. My shorts felt too short, my t-shirt too sweaty, my feet got too dirty. It was just one of those weeks.
Coloring my hair, in a wacky way, has helped to improve my overall perception of myself at the moment. Isn't that silly? I acknowledge the complete silliness of it, but I will admit it all the same.
I am actually off to a rugby game in about an hour. I made a quick stop here at the internet cafe after I went to the Craft fair in Rondebosch. I bought two pieces of jewelry for a good friend of mine and finally- the special thing for my mom that I've had my eye on all semester. I finally found the perfect manifestation of it, and I am very, very excited. I also bought lunch for myself- a nutella and banana crepe, homemade. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Anyway, it was pretty yummy.
That is all I have to say today. Say a prayer for Jorge, he flies back to Brazil tomorrow. We are going to celebrate his time here by weeping and cheering wildly at the game tonight.


Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Aw, shucks, Bonnie. I'm flattered that you truly do appreciate (and miss) my hair-pulling, shoulder-thumping,laugh-producing brand of hair-coloring. And, I'm glad you were successful at coloring your own this time. That's a remarkable feat in itself. But, that being said, I wish I was there or you were here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have seen you dying your own hair. I'm sure it was hilarious. :) Oh dearest Bonnie, I miss you more than you know. I'm super glad you're enjoying South Africa, but I wish I could mail myself there so I could be with you!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive